We had a lovely afternoon with Paty’s familia. I had asked her a while back to teach me her ways in the queso helado world. She kindly obliged, and went all the way by inviting the McKinzie fam over for lunch and dessert. So delicious. I could have taken lessons on preparing her “Soltero de Queso,” another dish that I need to learn, but we enjoyed the time of visiting and eating delicious food. Afterward, Greg returned to our home with the the two littles, and Ana and I stayed for our ice cream lesson.
Queso Helado is a famous homemade ice cream served all over the city on a hot day. The women will wear the traditional Arequipa outfit and scoop the portions from large wooden vats of the ice cream. We love queso helado. It literally means “cheese ice cream,” but there is no cheese to be found in the ingredient list. The ice cream usually comes out with a yellowish tint that is similar to the color of cheese. Coconut is a main ingredient in the icy treat, and the portion is always sprinkled with ground cinnamon. My family’s Christmas tradition is to serve boiled custard over a piece of coconut cake. I think that is why I like this ice cream so much. Minus the cinnamon, the flavor could be titled, “Boiled Custard over Coconut Cake.”
- 1 liter of whole milk
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 8 eggs
- 100 g of shredded coconut
- 1.5 c of sugar
- 1 can or small bag of evaporated milk
- ground cinnamon
- Echar un litro de leche, 100 g coco rallado, una rama de canela, 1.5 T azucar en una olla (medio fuego). Combine the milk, coconut, cinnamon stick, sugar in a small pot on medium heat.
- Separar 8 huevos clara de yema. Separate the eggs, yolk from whites.
- Mezclar yemas. Mix the yolks.
- Cuando liquido hierva, apagar el fuego. Colar la mezcla para eliminar el coco del liquido. When the mixture begins to boil, turn down the flame. Strain the liquid in order to remove the coconut pieces from the liquid.
- Agregar leche evaporada a liquido. Add the evaporated milk to the liquid.
- Enfriar el liquido (10-15 minutos). Allow the mixture to cool.
- Agregar las yemas. Add the yolks, but temp the yolks with a little bit of the hot mixture first.
- Echar en un fuente. Cubrir con plastico. Pour into a 9×13 pan and cover with plastic or a top.
- Congelar de una noche. Freeze over night.
- Servir con canela molida. Serve sprinkled with ground cinnamon.